9/15/2009

BABY BRAINS ARE BEAUTIFUL

I listened to this very interesting podcast on my walk to the Farmers Market the other day (how green of me you say).  I was walking listening to talking about a man who walks the walk AND talks the talk.  Geoffery Canada is an American who has developed a program designed to lift the poorest children in the US out of poverty, and stop the cycle forever.  He and his program, the Harlem Children's Zone, are on my hot list of things to investigate and get behind. 


The casualties and ghosts of the abandoned war on poverty sit in our classrooms, walk our streets and waste away in our prisons. This is truly the American Nightmare: impoverished, uneducated and unemployable amid a land of plenty. We can continue to ignore them and pay the price or we can call up the national resolve to fight – and through education, win – the country’s abandoned war on poverty.  Geoffrey Canada

Don't be fooled by the first few seconds of this Charlie Rose segment with Geoffrey. It's not about Bill Clinton (a mantra I recommend Bill learn and repeat, repeatedly).


No comments: