10/01/2009

THE UPS AND THE DOWNS

Poor Jen made the mistake of taking my phone call this evening where I fit about 10000 words into the first 2 minutes of our conversation.  When I stopped to take a breath I said (big breath in, long sigh) Can you tell I didn't leave the house yesterday?  I read somewhere that humans speak 16,000 words per day on average.  (How's that for useless trivia Jen!).  There was once upon a time, a theory floating around old-wives-tale-ville that women use twice as many words per day as men.  The husband said to his wife See? You DO talk twice as much as I do.  She said, that's because I have to repeat everything I say to you!  He said,  What?  (I love plagiarizing bad jokes).   Apparently I was suffering from a massive pressure filled verbal surplus.  Thank goodness she answered the phone or I would have choked on it, and thank goodness she was far enough away that it didn't get all over the front of her when it came rushing out.  (Excuse me Jen, I think I got a "can you even believe that!?!" on your collar).

Obviously there was some residual verbage because today I did get out of the house and yet it has taken approximately 214 words to get me to the point.  Life is full of ups and downs.  Literally (and obviously!).  I rediscovered Biorhythms last night.  In the basement in a box in the corner of my mind was the memory of an episode of "Chips" where Ponch uses a biorhythms calculator to figure some gambling odds on John's upcoming handball game.   Don't ask me why I remember this but can't remember who what when why or how re: last month.

The basics of Biorhythem theory from Wikipedia:

The theory of biorhythms claims that one's life is affected by rhythmic biological cycles, and seeks to make predictions regarding these cycles and the personal ease of carrying out tasks related to the cycles. These inherent rhythms are said to control or initiate various biological processes and are classically composed of three cyclic rhythms that are said to govern human behavior and demonstrate innate periodicity in natural physiological change: the physical, the emotional, and the intellectual (or mental) cycles. Others claim there are additional rhythms, some of which may be combinations of the three primary cycles. Some proponents think that biorhythms may be potentially related to bioelectricity and its interactions in the body.

This explains everything!  I am absolutely going to deploy this ofttimes labeled pseudoscience to psych myself up and explain away the unexplainable.  Like yesterday.  For the life of me I could not get interested in anything.  Nothing.  Then some time after the sun went down I had the biorhythm epiphany/memory.  According to my chart my emotional energy was just past the "critical" part of the cycle, where the line passes on or near the 0% grid line.  This is the time to be cautious, one is most vulnerable on the days when transitioning from a - to a + energy force and vice versa.

No wonder I couldn't feel anything and no wonder I felt like and actually did exercise, I was at the top of my Physical cycle and right at the critical point in my Emotional cycle.  I am going to use this kookie theory for the next month or so to help me make choices about my day and the order I get things done in.  If I am at the top of my physical peak, exercise will be the first thing I will get done that day, etc.  Here or here are free online calculators, check it out.

In this clip from the actual episode of "Chips" I remembered (appropriately entitled "Biorhythms")  Ponch and John chase down a sucker who obviously did not consult his biorhythm chart before coking himself up and leading these fine officers on a chase.  And when I say fine I mean Ponch is one hot Mexican.

No comments: